Pet software on a C64?

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

jpjgpaintball

Pet software on a C64?

Post by jpjgpaintball »

Hi,

Can you run Pet programs on the C64?

When I was a kid I wrote a neat (at least I thought it was neat at the time) little program on our Pet computer. It was like those "choose your own adventure" type books from the early 80's. Anyways, I still have the floppy with my program saved on it and I'd like to run it again as I wrote it almost 25 years ago.

Thanks,
Paul
Personable85

PET/C64

Post by Personable85 »

All you need is a PET Emulator. A PET Emulator makes your Commodore 64 think its a PET. PET Emulators pop-up on Ebay all the time. I can mail you a copy on cassette if you'd like (if I can get the tape to copy). Just email me.

Mark
[email protected]
jpjgpaintball

Post by jpjgpaintball »

I just might take you up on that... once I actually get myself a C64. I wanted to make sure it could be done before I bought one.

Thanks.

Paul
moparram

Post by moparram »

I would think if it is a BASIC program, it should run. Don't the Pet Floppies and C-64 Floppies use the same format?
Personable85

pet

Post by Personable85 »

Yes, the C64 will run basic PET programs without the emulator. But, if you poke specific memory locations on a PET, they won't match the C64. Crash! The emulator will also allow a program to be saved on the C64 and then loaded onto a PET. You cannot do that without the emulator because the PET and C64 save programs differently. I'm sure the emulator compensates for numerous other differences as well. I recommend getting the emulator. It makes life easier.

Mark
wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Re: Pet software on a C64?

Post by wiskow »

jpjgpaintball wrote:Can you run Pet programs on the C64?
You can find a copy of the PET Emulator here. It's a Lynxed file, so you'll also need Lynx to de-Lynx it, which you can get here.

Hope this helps! :D

-Andrew
http://hometown.aol.com/cottonwoodbbs