Modem problem -- help, please!

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Modem problem -- help, please!

Post by wiskow »

Has anyone here had any experience in using a modem on a VoIP line? I know that's a bit backwards, but that's what I'm dealing with now... I seem to be having some problems with line noise on my Commodore, and I've been told it's because of the VoIP line, but I'm not entirely convinced that that's the case. First of all, my VoIP line #2, which I have set up for the BBS only, is configured with "Fax and Modem Support" turned on. With that on, the documentation states:
If you turn Fax and Modem Support on, a portion of your available data bandwidth will be reserved exclusively for data support.

It goes on to say:
Fax and Modem Support works with most commonly used fax machines as
well as some other data services, including
- analog modems, including those embedded in consumer electronic
devices
- personal video recorders (such as TiVO)

So according to this, with this "mode" enabled, it *should* work just
fine.

Okay, second point... I've hooked up my laptop with built-in modem to the same line, called out to a BBS, and I don't seem to get any line noise at all... And the modem in my laptop is 56K bps, compared to the 1200 baud in my Commodore, so if there was a line noise problem, wouldn't it be significantly worse at the higher speed?

And third point... I only tested the modem briefly on a traditional line before switching to VoIP, but I think I was having some line noise issues before the switch.

So... with all these points put together, it seems to me that the problem is not with the line at all, but rather with the modem. So would getting a new modem help? Any thoughts?

-Andrew