SX-64 Modifications

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

moparram

SX-64 Modifications

Post by moparram »

So far, I have replced the worn CRT monitor with a Coby 5.5" color TV. I have it set up so I can use the remote and watch tv as well. The FDD board was removed (it didn't seem to work anyway) to make more room for the tv circuit board. A short 1541 drive board will be installed to control the Floppy. I wired it up temporarily and it worked! This SX-64 has really turned into a pain in the A.. :shock: . I'm just an auto mechanic trying to have some prehistoric fun!!! I download games from the 'net on to floppies that I can extract onto another computer that has a 1541 attached. Then I use the Star Commander to make 5 1/4 floppies for the SX-64!!! Thankfully, mi new rig can read these disks!! The next project calls for a fan to cool this badboy down!!!!
Gambit

Post by Gambit »

Since you're going through all that work already, why not use a 1571 to replace the 1541, or better yet a 1581.

That would work right?
wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Post by wiskow »

Gambit wrote:Since you're going through all that work already, why not use a 1571 to replace the 1541, or better yet a 1581.

That would work right?
If I understand correctly, I think he's just replacing the controller board and connecting it to the drive mechanism that was originally in the SX-64. He's not replacing the entire drive with a new one. But if you wanted to do that, then I suppose you could, it just wouldn't be a perfect fit... :-)

-Andrew
moparram

Post by moparram »

That's right. I had to cut the drive connector at the SX-64 floppy and splice it into the three connectors used in the external 1541. I had it "mocked up" but it wouldn't read a disk. After awhile of tinkering, I determined that the 1541 board I was using was bad as well! I swapped out the boards and... it works!! I now have a fully functional SX-64 that is as portable as it gets. I just have to do some final assembly and then I can button her up. A cooling fan may be in order, since the internal configuration might create more heat. The new TV/monitor may not really throw as much heat as the original (new technology?). Eventually, I would really like to put an LCD in it.