X1541 Cable

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

moparram

X1541 Cable

Post by moparram »

I just finished making the X1541 Cable. I have an SX-64 and three 1541 drives, two of which work pretty well. I downloaded the Star Commander, an with a bit of trial and error, I was able to download some games and put them on the 1541. For some strange reason, the SX-64 monitor won't display in color when a game is playing. The startup screen is the normal colors. Anyone got any ideas?
sjgray

Post by sjgray »

That's a strange one. Can you hook up the video output on the back of the SX-64 to an external monitor or tv and see if it's the same? Perhaps it's the internal monitor heating up or a loose connection of the chroma wire inside. Have you opened it up to check the wiring?

Steve
moparram

Post by moparram »

The video out to a tv is perfect. I replaced the monitor in the SX-64 with a Coby 5.5" TV. This TV has a remote, and I set up the infrared sensor in the back of the storage above the floppy. I put a female coax antenna connector in the back of the SX-64 so I can hook up an antenna or cable to watch TV. I have been trying to get the floppy to work, but I think I'll have to ditch the original and replace it with a 1571 or 1581.
Currently, I'm working with a Cardco Card? interface I got off Ebay. The SX-64 doesn't have a casette port, but the power supply does have +5V. I have it hooked up with a jumper wire, but I'll make a connector in the back of the unit. It's hooked up to an Okidata ML320 right now.
moparram

Post by moparram »

Got the Cardco interface working with Okidata ML320. I had to open up the box and flip some dip switches, luckily someone has a site that had info on the dip switch. I don't have a manual for the interface. Disk drive is still dead, I'm working on getting a 1571 for it. I have a 1541, but I use it to create disks for the SX64. I'm probably doing things backa**wards, and should be using the X1541 cable to access the PC drive? However, when I ever get the SX-64 to be fully portable again, I'll need the disks I've created.