Remember MISER? (aka Miser's House)

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

jayemarr
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Remember MISER? (aka Miser's House)

Post by jayemarr »

Some of you will remember the text adventure for the Commodore PET (released 1981) called MISER. Creepy old house, with a swimming pool full of mercury in the yard.

As far as I knew there had been no attempt to resurrect it since the early 80s so I decided to rewrite it in object-oriented PHP for fun.

If you have an ssh client you can access it at [email protected] , password "miser" . If not there is a link on this page to get to a web-based ssh thing, and also a high score screen for the game (if you complete it, you'll get your name up there at this point).

http://jmrtech.com/Misers_House_Text_Adventure

Thought you might enjoy my retro programming project. :)

Cheers,
John
mrnop

Re: Remember MISER? (aka Miser's House)

Post by mrnop »

I remember spending summer nights playing this in the rec room, my father also played it. The glory days of being a teenager and hacking around on the PET's..... a wonderful era.
jayemarr

Re: Remember MISER? (aka Miser's House)

Post by jayemarr »

Well, now you can play it again. I addressed a few shortcomings in it -- I mean, really, it was written to run in 16K of memory, there was only so much it was going to be able to do. But a move-by-move walkthrough of the 1981 version will get you through this one as well. (I added things rather than changed them for the most part.)

I was a bit younger than you when these came out, I remember staying after school to play with the PETs in the "resource room" behind the library. This was definitely one of my favorites. It took me quite awhile (weeks?) to figure out how to get out of that house.