Commodore Internet

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

mjj4363

Commodore Internet

Post by mjj4363 »

Hi everyone,
I have a commodore C64 and i would like to know if i can connect it and access data (Internet) I have a new laptop but the old computer systems like the commodore C64 are interesting. Is there a guide for connecting my commodore to the internet and if so what service would i need?

Michael James
Commodore for ever.
gklinger

Re: Commodore Internet

Post by gklinger »

mjj4363 wrote:I have a commodore C64 and i would like to know if i can connect it and access data (Internet)
It requires a bit of effort and some additional hardware but it can be done.
Is there a guide for connecting my commodore to the internet and if so what service would i need?
There are two methods. One is by using a terminal server (or a PC acting as one). For information on how you do that take a look here and here. The other method requires buying an ethernet adaptor of some sort and you've got lots of models to choose from. Take a look at this chart (in PDF form) for an overview of the available products. If you decide to go that route, we'll have to have a long chat because, frankly, choosing is somewhat complicated. As for service, your regular Internet connection is all you need.

Hope that helps.
Call me Golan; my parents did.
mjj4363

Post by mjj4363 »

Thank you for your reply, I am going back to New Jersey in a few weeks so when i get there i am going to give it a try. I never knew that i could use my current internet connection (Comcast) and use an adapter. :D :D :D
Commodore for ever.
rbernardo
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Re: Commodore Internet

Post by rbernardo »

mjj4363 wrote:I have a commodore C64 and i would like to know if i can connect it and access data (Internet)
You can do the old-school the way I do. Find an ISP with a shell account, and with a modem connected to your Commodore, dial into the account.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug