Help with RS-232 interface for SX-64

Welcome back to our Commodore Discussion forum. If you have a question, comment, problem, or just want to chat about Commodore, post it here for free.

Have some fun and talk to others interested in the Old and New Commodore world.

Moderators: wiskow, Trazan

moparram

Help with RS-232 interface for SX-64

Post by moparram »

Anyone know how to make an RS-232 interface for the SX-64? I have this crazy idea of connecting my Snap On MT2500 scanner to my SX-64. I've already hooked it up to my old 486 laptop, a Apple Mac Classic II, and my trusty Okidata ML320 turbo printer(which I had to install a serial interface into). The Snap On MT2500 has an LCD screen that is 40x4, it can be beneficial to hook it up to laptops, because you can see up 26 lines of info at one time.
gklinger

Re: Help with RS-232 interface for SX-64

Post by gklinger »

moparram wrote:Anyone know how to make an RS-232 interface for the SX-64?
A very smart cookie by the name of Jim Brain has designed a couple of RS-232 interfaces, both of which will work on the SX-64 and the designs are freely available so you can make your own. One connects to the user port and is called the EZ232 and the other one connects to the expansion port (which allows for higher speeds) and is called the HS232. You can find more information, including the schematics, at the URLs I just gave.

Since making the boards isn't the easy thing around, you might want to contact a guy named Jay aka Doppleganger who makes and sells these (at cost, no less.) You can find a thread about them here and you might be able to find some contact info there too.
Call me Golan; my parents did.
moparram

Post by moparram »

I just won a bid on Ebay for an RS-232 interface, I'm too lazy to make my own. The seller is this Wiskow guy! :lol: Hopefully it will work on my SX-64, looks like the offset of the box might interfere with the power cord. I should be able to make a null cable from the DB25 end to a DB9 female end to hook up to my PC. You see where I'm going with this.
wiskow
Are you a real person?: No... I am a spambot, delete my account!

Post by wiskow »

moparram wrote:I just won a bid on Ebay for an RS-232 interface, I'm too lazy to make my own. The seller is this Wiskow guy!
Ah, so you were the guy I sent that to, huh? ;)

I only ever tested that interface with a modem... Hopefully it'll work for what you're trying to use it for. But if not, you could always re-sell it and try getting another one! :)

-Andrew
moparram

Post by moparram »

I just received the interface today, that was pretty fast! I made a null cable from the interface to my PC, but trying to figure out which software to use (on both ends C= and PC) is confusing. Do you suggest any setups that might work? Is Quantum link working? I went to the site, and can't download the .d64 file (file not found error).